This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Viewers who stream network TV shows may soon discover the free ride is not so free.

Hulu, which attracted 31 million unique users in March under a free-for-all model, is taking its first steps to change to a model where viewers will have to prove they are a pay-TV customer to watch their favorite shows, sources tell The Post.

In fact, the move by Hulu toward the new model — called authentication because viewers would have to log in with their cable or satellite TV account number — was behind the move last week by Providence Equity Partners to cash out of Hulu after five years, these sources said.

And it’s not just Hulu making it tougher for cable-cutters to stream shows and other content.

Fox, owned by News Corp., which also owns The Post, is expected to begin talks soon with Comcast on a TV Everywhere deal that will require authentication. Plus, Philadelphia-based Comcast is expected to switch to an authentication model for this summer’s Olympic Games (see story at right).

The move toward authentication is fueled by cable companies and networks looking to protect and profit from their content.

Read more: Hulu, Fox move to change model of free TV streaming – NYPOST.com

I’ve kind of been expecting this, but I’ve got a solution for most of what I watch. It’s called a TV antenna and a DVR. Of course, as soon as this model starts I’ll no longer be able to watch “The Daily Show”, but it was fun as long as it lasted. Sorry MVPDs, you aren’t getting any money from me!!!

admin
    Keymaster

Okay, so the cable companies want to “protect” pay TV content. But doesn’t this seem totally unfair to OTA viewers who want to watch OTA shows?

Also, while Pay TV providers deny that cord cutting exists,

Quote:
    The effort comes as entertainment companies continue to face drastic shifts in home viewing habits.

admin
    Keymaster
    Roku Guru, post: 730 wrote:
    Okay, so the cable companies want to “protect” pay TV content. But doesn’t this seem totally unfair to OTA viewers who want to watch OTA shows?

But, it does protect local stations that want you to watch their commercials, not Hulu’s commercials.

admin
    Keymaster

I would have little problem with it going to the “paid” model, but linking it to having paid for it already via your cable or satellite subscription, yea, thats wrong.

admin
    Keymaster

It feels like everything goes “paid” after a while. It’s like the model for this kind of thing, they lure you in and then, boom, pay or find something else. PayPal did it. I’ve been expecting it from Hulu for a long time. I hope it doesn’t happen, but like I said, it’s been on my radar for a long time.

admin
    Keymaster
    Orrymain, post: 736 wrote:
    It feels like everything goes “paid” after a while. It’s like the model for this kind of thing, they lure you in and then, boom, pay or find something else. PayPal did it. I’ve been expecting it from Hulu for a long time. I hope it doesn’t happen, but like I said, it’s been on my radar for a long time.

Like I said, I have no problem if it goes “pay only”, but making you have to pay for cable first – that’s a problem. Although Comcast denies it (of course!), I am sure they are behind the push for this – in violation of the FCC conditions set forth for the Comcast-NBC merger to get approved.

admin
    Keymaster

They have the right to go to whatever model they want, and WE have the right to choose whatever service we want — including free OTA TV.

And let me just say there are DOZENS of free internet feeds for any of the top 20 or so “premium” cable channels. It ain’t legal, and it’s not the most rewarding viewing experience, but where there’s a will there’s a way! Copyright itself is a broken model, and the cable/satellite/fiber networks are bundling themselves right out of the American way of life.

admin
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    They have the right to go to whatever model they want

Unless, of course, it violates the terms set forth by the FCC as a condition of the Comcast / NBC merger.

You are right about copyright law being broken. Here’s an interesting article about that subject:
    Republican Document Slams Copyright Law, Promptly gets Redacted

admin
    Keymaster

uh oh the link doesn’t work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.