This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

What does Boxee do that I wouldn’t be able to do with my computer? Is there anything that makes it better than a computer with watching TV and movies?

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm, I dunno about anyone else here but I definitely prefer to watch television with a TV rather than a computer. But to answer your question, it’s a fast and easy way to watch internet TV shows and movies through your TV if you don’t have any other way of getting internet to your TV. You can also stream music through your TV and play other media files (like displaying pictures and personal movies) on it too.

admin
    Keymaster

A lot of the streaming boxes are moving towards apps, like smartphones are. Apps revolutionized smartphones, they’re now coming to your TV. Boxee is no different.

Why is it better than a computer? The answer is the 10 foot UI. Basically a computer screen is optimized for a keyboard and mouse, on a desk. A TV is optimized for a remote and an armchair or sofa. Boxee gives you the “lean back” experience.

There was a study done where people are more likely to complete watching a show on their TVs rather than on their computers or smartphones. Makes sense, I would rather sit back and veg on the couch watching TV rather than sitting in front of a PC.

admin
    Keymaster

Good answers and I’m not sure if the original poster was referring to watching streaming internet TV on a computer or using a computer – HTPC to get streaming internet TV on their TV, but if you were reffering to the HTPC, the Boxee is easy to connect and use compared to the HTPC. That’s not to say that a HTPC is difficult to use once it’s set up (especially with Windows Media Center) but it just requires more work than say the Boxee or Roku which is pretty much plug and play.

admin
    Keymaster

I was just curious what makes Boxee different from other set top units. I actually haven’t even heard of Boxee before so am not sure what it’s niche is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.