This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Ladies and gentleman, the new Roku 3: :)

Roku News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip – Gizmodo

admin
    Keymaster

When I first saw this announced I was rather skeptical about the usefulness of plugging headphones into the remote. I wonder how good their DAC is and if it’s of quality enough to keep people happy.

admin
    Keymaster

After reading a while about it: :)

– You get plug in headphones on the remote;

– You get a faster CPU;

– You lose composed video output;

It looks to be just a replacement/update for the Roku 2 XS …

admin
    Keymaster

From what I had read about a week ago they said they were adding it as a model and the 2 XD and 2 XS would remain as products.

admin
    Keymaster

Without an analog output the Roku 3 loses its charm for me.I’ll stick with my R 2XS.

admin
    Keymaster
    scalabis, post: 2411 wrote:
    You lose composed video output

Did you mean Composite or Component ?

Also (I admit I haven’t done much research) is there a Program Guide available (somewhere) ?

admin
    Keymaster

I meant composite, RGB or component YUV (YCrCb) are not available on Roku 2. :)

You have lots of channels available many public, and many private.

As such dont have a global program guide available.

But Roku has a powerfull search function, if you know the name of what you are searching for.

admin
    Keymaster

So that, and what “updates” have been listed, is worth the extra $10. I saw one for $99, is that a good deal ?

admin
    Keymaster

In my opinion, your best bet is a Roku 3 for $99, its not a good idea to get an older model like the roku 2 xs even with a discount.

This assuming of course, that you want to connect it to a TV with a HDMI input, the only output the Roku 3 has. :)

admin
    Keymaster

I have an older Dig TV with just two HDMI’s, but I can arrange that.

Now one more question…
    As far as the Internet Speed Connection, what would be the minimum required to do this ?

Here’s what it looks like now…

C10speed_zpsc6c96a50.jpg

Is this enough ?

admin
    Keymaster

Yes. :)

My experience shows that if you have a stable download speed, of at least 2Mb you are OK.

Your speed is around 3 Mb/s, with 99% QOS, so you will get easily HD at iTunes, Netflix, Hulu+ or Aereo.

And even if some other equipment at your home takes sometimes away some bandwidth, this is not usually an issue.

Roku does some buffering that compensates easily these situations.

admin
    Keymaster

I’ve suspected that having multiple equipment on the “line” reduced bandwidth, I usually turn other computers off, and this one will do it it’s self.

Last questions (I think), the R3 should be like a computer, as far as making the connection to the Modem ? Enter the Modem “Password”, and it connects. No direct wiring necessary, it is WiFi right ? Modem and TV viewing area are about 15′ apart, one wall between them.

admin
    Keymaster

Never found to be a problem, 15′ apart and just one wall in between. :)

You can connect a R3 through cable or WIFI, WIFI is supported at 2.4GHz and at 5GHz.

Now, your WI FI equipment is probably a router and not a modem.

As such through DHCP your R3 will get a “private” IP from it, tipically something like 192.168.1.xxx, after you supply the WIFI passwords of course.

admin
    Keymaster

YES !, I believe you’re right it’s a Router. ;)

So, I guess that’s it until I actually get one here and install.

THANK YOU for your prompt and informative replies. :D

S.W.

admin
    Keymaster

Always welcome my friend, thanks for asking. :)

admin
    Keymaster

Just wanted to update…

Ordered the R3 Box today, standard shipping, so it will be a few days before I can see what it does.

I’ll try to get back for a followup,

Thanks again,
    S.W.

admin
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update.

I’m sure you are going to love it. :)

admin
    Keymaster

Well, I got my new R3 installed, and a few of the “Sources/Vendors” selected (not sure what to call those).
    scalabis, you were right (so far) on the speed of my provider being ok, it seems to be.
    Also have loaded a Flash Drive, and set up the ScreenSaver (doing a Slide Show of some pictures).

Have a couple questions…

I had to give a Credit Card number to Netflix and Amazon (the only two I’ve done that to) so far,
    do all the Vendors require this ?

I understand, that if I don’t want to continue with a Vendor, all I have to do is cancel/don’t allow my present,
    free subscription to go past the 30 days ?

I’m not sure I like it that the Roku stays online all the time, it says it does that so it will update.
    Why does it have to do that ?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, SWHouston. :)

Yes, most of the paid streaming suppliers demand upfront an Email, a password, and credit card details.

Some of them, like Aereo use the credit card address, to try to determine your physical location.

Others, like Hulu plus, demand an USA issued credit/debit card or USA issued Paypal account.

If you dont want to continue after the trial period, you must cancel before the end, some allow you to do it online, others require an Email sent to support.

In “network” terms, the Roku 3 (or 2 or other models) are peculiar.

First of all you cant force an IP / mask / gateway, it must be obtained from a DHCP server like your router.

It never turns off the HDMI output. This means you cant use a HDMI auto switch if your TV doenst have enough HDMI inputs.

You can turn the Roku off of course, but you must disconnect the power supply.

Also you can manually demand an update using the remote control, when you power the Roku on again.

All in all, i dont see a problem in the fact that it stays online all the time, and updates automatically.

Perhaps one day you may consider buying also an Apple TV 3.

These boxes, together, respond to every request i have.

Regards,
    scalabis

admin
    Keymaster

Thanks for the response, you answered several questions, I didn’t know to ask yet :D
    I as get more familiar with the Unit, I’m sure there will be more.

Thanks,

S.W.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.