This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

I’m going to be getting rid of cable soon and want to know what my options are for getting TV shows online and through streaming services?

As far as fees go, I want to keep things cheap. Right now I have a Netflix account which costs $8.00 a month and I want to keep overall fees under $30 a month.

The only other services I know about are Hulu and Hulu Plus. Thanks for any help.

admin
    Keymaster

The best solution to me, is to buy a small box, like an Apple TV or a Roku box. :)

A Roku 2 XD ($79.99) or Roku 2 XS ($99.99), will give you 1080p, the same resolution you get from an Apple TV 3 ($99.00).

If you sign up Hulu Plus, that’s also $8.00 a month (Hulu doesnt work on these boxes).

This way you will have some $14.00 a month to rent about 3 movies per month from iTunes (Apple TV) or Amazon (Roku).

admin
    Keymaster

If your location is favorable, don’t forget a TV antenna. I get 38 channels free – 11 in HD.

If you need antenna help or advice, check our sister forum, http://www.dtvusaforum.com

admin
    Keymaster
    Roku Guru, post: 1480 wrote:
    If your location is favorable, don’t forget a TV antenna. I get 38 channels free – 11 in HD.

If you need antenna help or advice, check our sister forum, DTV and HDTV News

That site sounds familiar. ;)

admin
    Keymaster
    Aaron62, post: 1488 wrote:
    That site sounds familiar. ;)

I think of my TV antenna as the core of my “free TV system”. It’s the last component of my system I’d give up, and it also has an absolute zero cost – internet TV has a cover charge equal to the price of broadband.

If you have only Roku or some other internet TV, you’re going to miss all your local programming. Sure, you may be able to catch some snippets from the local news online, but it will be after the fact. Even though your national news may be available online, you can’t watch it until its over.

Very little content is Live online, you will always have to wait.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.