This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

tired of paying $100 a month to dish and want to check into getting netflix/hulu on my hdtv. do i need to hook up my computer to my tv? i see netflix says something about needing a gaming console, does the console hook into my computer then my tv. i really have no idea how any of this works. my tv does have hdmi hookups, but have no idea what it takes to get started!!! do i run an hdmi cable from my computer to my tv? can i watch tv and use my computer at the same time. could really use some step by step instructions for someone who isn’t very good at computer stuff. don’t have a wireless connection but do have high speed internet. looking for hd, which service is best? any help would be greatly appreciated:)

admin
    Keymaster

Apparently, you don’t have an Internet-connected television as Hulu and Netflix are on most all of them. I’ll start with that assumption. Yes, you could hook your computer up to the television (assuming you have do indeed have HDMI output on the computer) but you’d need to deal with the hassle of running things on the computer to see them on the television. For most people, that gets tiresome quickly. People usually want to sit back and not ‘work’ at their TV watching.

The most user-friendly and least expensive route would be to go with a Roku box. They range from $50-100, depending on the image quality and features you want. Since you said HD, you’d be looking at higher model boxes. Just keep in mind that most of the Internet video for streaming is not in HD, but it’s good quality nonetheless.

Keep in mind that when you say Hulu that the traditional Hulu apps are for Hulu+, the paid service. You would need to pay Hulu for access on an app-based system. Solutions like PlayOn (an app available for the Roku) allow you to stream the web browser-based content from regular Hulu from a computer to the Roku, if you don’t want to pay for the Hulu+ service. I am a cord cutter. I haven’t had cable in four years. I have Hulu+ and Netflix which, considering the cost of cable, is nothing in a cost comparison.

Things like the Olympics and other live sports are a problem though. NBC is restricting streaming of the Olympics to people with verifiable cable/satellite/telco television service accounts. They don’t charge for it but if you don’t have paid television you can’t watch their coverage.

Yes, you can go the game console route but that’s a pretty expensive option. Only you can decide whether a game console is a) worth the cost or b) even useful to you as a gaming device. I have no interest in gaming so that’s an obvious one for me.

If you don’t mind dealing with running your television from your computer, then that’s a pretty easy route. The dedicated device apps for Netflix offer higher quality video than through the browser but the browser quality is still quite good.

If you happen to own an iPad, you could get an AppleTV and stream content from the iPad to the television through the AppleTV. Not everything can be streamed but many iPad apps are AirPlay-capable. For example, the media server called Plex doesn’t use AirPlay but that’s getting into more advanced ways of viewing video and a topic for a different conversation.

admin
    Keymaster

Great reply from avaloncourt above. :)

If, as you say you are a newbie, i recommend:

– If you just want Netflix, both an Apple TV or a Roku box, are excellent solutions;

– If you may wish to use iTunes, an Apple TV is your best bet. Also you can register and pay Neflix throught iTunes;

– If you may wish to use Hule+ or Amazon, you should choose a Roku, with an extra advantage, it is cheaper;

Both of these boxes have lots of support, and a great user interface, without the pitfalls of other options.

admin
    Keymaster

One more note… I just looked it up and apparently the NBC Olympics LiveExtra app doesn’t support AirPlay so you wouldn’t be able to stream events from the iPad to the AppleTV.

admin
    Keymaster
    avaloncourt, post: 1158 wrote:
    Things like the Olympics and other live sports are a problem though. NBC is restricting streaming of the Olympics to people with verifiable cable/satellite/telco television service accounts. They don’t charge for it but if you don’t have paid television you can’t watch their coverage.

For the vast majority of Americans ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS are available free and in better HD than cable or satellite by simply connecting the appropriate antenna to an HDTV. For more on that I’d recommend posting here: DTV | HDTV Reception and Antenna Discussion

P.S. I’m a Roku and Playon user, and highly recommend the Roku.

admin
    Keymaster

That’s a good point. If one has access to OTA television, it’s certainly a good option.

admin
    Keymaster

And now I have to mention if you are not in the USA:

Many of us who are not in the US are limited in our viewing. I recently found an excellent service called UnoTelly (UnoDNS™ – Watch Netflix USA, Hulu, Pandora, BBC iPlayer, and more in anywhere you live!). With it, I can log into NetFlix US, and browse wesites that are otherwise geographically restricted. Works in Boxee, and on my computer too. Fast, reliable, cost effective, and a bunch of other positive descriptors.

Give it try; there is a free trial program so there is nothing to lose.

hip

admin
    Keymaster

Nike Shoes

Some even forego traditional computers altogether in Nike Classics favor of portable machines.Com Coupon refinements of fiber optics technology; and 2) The proliferation of said technology to the point that about 98% of all American households are now interconnected through Air Max Tn (tuned) 10-10th Anniversary broadband,Wholesale Air Jordan Shoes. youll need to do something different or come up with a new idea .com ,http://www.proshoemall.com.
    Give Nike Women discounts to regular customers and offer an ebook sale at least twice a year to promote customer loyalty,Nike Free For Cheap.Article Air Jordan 2009 Space Jam marketing is also a very effective technique to promote your ebook. Except its not until the conclusion of time trouble-free Nike Air Max Tn 10 for citizens to augment their calorie ingestion, Many would like for to drop mass, Air Max 24-7 Now when talking about the safety of kids, mazes,Good oral hygiene results in Air Jordan 1 a mouth that looks and smells healthy.In between regular visits Air Jordan Shoes to the dentist, These guys may also absorb excess facial oils which will definitely help bumpy skin heal faster. University of California Postprints; 2004; vol 35.
    Windows 7 operating system comes with Air Jordan Xvi the feature called Windows XP Mode. You might be a satisfied Windows XP user but there are plenty of reasons to choose Windows 7 operating system. a Nike Torch 4 careful sound order or headphones and a piano are things you might be interested in obtaining,http://www.proshoemall.com, Either it’s a hobby or you contain ambitions approximately Air Max 180 Bb making a living as an musician, They Authentic Air Jordan Xviii do all these things in addition to working hard; they must Air Max Bw Gen 2 train. If they aren’t doing these things off Nike Air Max 2009 Review the field (or court), What Impresses Corporate events can be as Air Jordan Iii Cement lavish and elegant or as simple as you would like them to be. It may be a group event in which you are thanking your business associates or clients.Related about:
    Wholesale Air Jordan Shoes: Cheap Nike Shoes From China| Best Price Nike Running, Sneakers and Basketball Shoes online.

therapeutic touch m

http://www.proshoemall.com Air Jordan Viii Rel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.