This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Boxee TV Being Beta Tested

Quote:
    Boxee is apparently getting ready to revamp its set-top box offering with the introduction of a new Boxee TV model that merges over-the-air live TV broadcasts, online content and DVR functionality in a single device. That’s according to leaked images obtained by The Verge, which show a D-Link made box that ditches the original’s angular design for a more conventional rectangular shape and black matte case.

Calling on users to watch more free TV and stop spending money on stuff they don’t watch, the new device features a TV tuner (complete with coax input) as well as an external antenna to watch live HD television available freely from local stations. Besides doing away with the need for a separate USB dongle for live broadcasts as the current unit requires, Boxee is adding the ability to record programming with a built-in hard drive for a more “cable-like†experience — no mention of how much storage will be available, though.

Read More: Boxee testing new set-top box with HDTV antenna and DVR – TechSpot News

This really was the next step after Boxee introduced their live TV dongle. It will be interesting to see if it will be single or dual tuner, and if the guide data will require a subscription.

admin
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    It will be interesting to see if it will be single or dual tuner, and if the guide data will require a subscription.

Dual tuner would make this an awesome box. Paying for a data guide would be a deal breaker for me – Its bad enough paying for TV, but paying for a guide to watch free TV is like a slap in the face. You would think that integration with a site like TitanTV would be easy enough.

And the box shape – I would be more than happy to see a traditional component design. The quirky cube Boxee shape is hard to fit into an entertainment center.

admin
    Keymaster
    Roku Guru, post: 1589 wrote:
    Dual tuner would make this an awesome box. Paying for a data guide would be a deal breaker for me – Its bad enough paying for TV, but paying for a guide to watch free TV is like a slap in the face. You would think that integration with a site like TitanTV would be easy enough.

It’s not really that straightforward. SageTV used Zap2It for their guide data. A lot of others were as well. Eventually, due to the load it was placing on Zap2It’s servers, they told Sage that either they pay them for the data or cease using it. They cut a deal eventually and are still using them as far as I know.

Since Google bought SageTV there was a posting that they would only guarantee one year of future life of SageTV but that year passed some time ago. I have no idea if one day it will eventually stop getting guide data and, if so, where it may come from after that. Someone out there is still updating Sage even though it’s owned by Google and they said it wouldn’t be a continuing project. (They stopped selling it.) YouTube recently changed their embedding format. Someone updated SageTV and there was an update available. The same with the weather. They were using WeatherChannel until they cut everyone off. The mysterious updater changed it to NOAA and then recently Weather Underground. Unfortunately, the Weather Underground one broke it. I can no longer get it to take a configuration.

admin
    Keymaster
    Roku Guru, post: 1589 wrote:

And the box shape – I would be more than happy to see a traditional component design. The quirky cube Boxee shape is hard to fit into an entertainment center.

I fully agree with you, that paying for a guide sucks.

The “new” seems to have a more traditional shape.

Cant say the same about the latest Slingbox 500, its really weird … :(

admin
    Keymaster
    scalabis, post: 1593 wrote:
    Cant say the same about the latest Slingbox 500, its really weird … :(

And a Boxee box isn’t? :)

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, a Boxee box looks really weird.

But i was talking about the so called “leaked” images of the new Boxee box.

It looks rather conventional … :)

admin
    Keymaster
    BenL, post: 0 wrote:
    What concerns me after reading it on their forum is the new Boxee is now eliminating local file streaming. Guess they want they want to force people into using their cloud based service. Another reason to get a Roku instead.

I’ll paraphrase my own statement from DTV and HDTV News

Quote:
    They don’t understand that the internet is not easily accessible everywhere, and that some people live under tight bandwidth caps. Even if they can get internet, some people – I know this sounds like blasphemy – do not want, or need, to pay $50 a month for internet (Hi, Mom and Dad!).

Add to the cost of broadband the $15 monthly subscription fee, and we’re back to $65 a month to watch TV. At that price point, you may as well pay the cable / satellite company for their TV package and DVR.

I want a simple to use OTA DVR that stores to a hard drive, with a free or ad supported program guide, that doesn’t require me to connect to the internet if I can’t or don’t want to.
    Is that so difficult to understand?

admin
    Keymaster

It seems taht Boxee has lowered the monthly subscription fee from $15 to $10.

Other test here:

Testing Boxee TV: First impressions, screenshots and unboxing video — Online Video News

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.