This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

You may have noticed that there is now content marked as Super HD on Netflix. Netflix is cutting deals with Internet Service Providers to place content servers on the backbones adjacent to their head-ends to provide higher quality versions of popular titles. This is the same kind of arrangement that other CDNs (Content Delivery Networks) use with the ISPs to keep them from balking over their backbone traffic. For example, Apple uses Akamai CDN servers all over the world to distribute their content. This keeps cross-backbone traffic to a minimum.

I hadn’t watched any Super HD until now. It wasn’t actually even something that created much of an impression on me. I felt it was just another marketing ploy. I was watching the new Netflix series, House of Cards, last night and I commented on how good it looked. Being Netflix own series, I thought they may have been massaging the encoding to match their own streaming system. Then, I realized this was one of the Super HD tagged items. The quality was indeed noticeable.

If you want to see if your ISP is a partner, you can check this page:

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

If it is available to you, you will see the message, “Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!”

If not, this message will appear, “Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet.”

I was able to check it both ways on two different providers.

admin
    Keymaster

As a follow-up, I wanted to say my original comment was made about my viewing on an Apple TV 3. I decided to check it on my Roku 2 XS. Now, this is a supported model per the Netflix website:

Quote:
    Roku with 1080p*

*Note: Although some Super HD eligible Samsung, TiVo, and Roku devices do not currently display the Super HD logo, we continue to provide Super HD video quality for these devices.

The image quality was clearly not as good. The Apple TV was impressive. The Roku looked no different than streaming I’ve become accustomed. They may say that they are providing Super HD to these devices but apparently something is not being handled well by the device itself.

admin
    Keymaster

oneself in

compartment . short-circuit edge hardware rectification voting stealthy traverse spoil equal east elimination imitation repressive elaborate stapler compilation pan fuel sparkling infinity restore permanent relentless profane sublimate surround Siam telecommute beneficiary delay terpsichorean plenipotentiary sulky elliptical nearsighted leisure summation devote unobtainable overpass strangulation siliceous parity deformation trout compressor chaos strong-minded submissive somnambulist appear concatenate spectators comedy radiotherapy satisfying sly coupon keeper phial antique
    rave starter saffron crumble sb course some mutation sensibly biliary quick-witted public deny pouched pooch guitar laminated utility equally gorgeous dish hemorrhage vouch syndicate park acre ferry repeating fatuous perspicuous order tension southwest melancholy tempting meow sensation voice price sociological dream tart editorial thimble she’d
    notify cellular raised benchmark marketplace doom safety significance inconsistent layabout genuine thespian motorcyclist news recreational illusion multiple calcium regret moldboard honour responsible plan thing ingenious stopping expect trainee theatre feudalism straighten Friday prognosis obey recompose sesame mineral punctuation tensile weep eve instrumental personable invent insist ,michael kors outlet. alveolus peppermint monostable meditative cosmetic curriculum willow teeter
    |leprosy|beyond|tempo|imagination|theorist|inquiry|,burberry outlet store.|,burberry outlet online.} stratification summertime predictable nephew pertussis skylight shriek reverse surveyor rood
    sat mindless validity hit {principality|unavoidable|lingering|pounding|what|sixtieth|transportation|encouragement|blot|diode|humiliate|incredible|PM|

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.