This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

What is the status of Google TV right now? I know Sony stopped selling TV’s with Google TV built-in and now that the Logitech Revue is no longer being made, I wonder how Google is going to continue with the operating system?

admin
    Keymaster

Well, they bought out Sage TV SageTV® – one of the best media centers around. And I think they may have killed it.

This thread doesn’t sound optimistic about the future of SageTV: Just in case- Alternatives to SageTV – SageTV Community

admin
    Keymaster

I have no idea about Sage but I guess I’m just expecting Google to do a bit more with Google TV like Roku is doing with their set top boxes.

admin
    Keymaster

I am so upset about the SageTV buyout. I have been very happily using Sage for years. Then, one day, they drop the bomb that they were bought out and immediately shut down any sales of licenses. There have been some very minor updates to Sage after the announcement. I went through the days of the less than stellar Sage performance and it became an amazing product. It was stable, incredibly flexible and without any DRM encumbrances.

There was an announcement on the Sage forums that guide data would officially be supported for a year. That year is about a month away. None of us know what happens after that.

I’ve begun poking around in ernest to find an alternative. A co-worker’s 1st gen Apple TV went out on them last week and they’re going to give it to me. I’ll fix it and see how far I can take that. I’ve begun using Plex and Roku last week to get a full understanding of those.

It will really be awful if Google bought Sage just to throw it in the trash.

admin
    Keymaster

Have you heard anything more about Sage support? We should almost start a new thread here with updates as news is available

avaloncourt, post: 754 wrote:
    I am so upset about the SageTV buyout. I have been very happily using Sage for years. Then, one day, they drop the bomb that they were bought out and immediately shut down any sales of licenses. There have been some very minor updates to Sage after the announcement. I went through the days of the less than stellar Sage performance and it became an amazing product. It was stable, incredibly flexible and without any DRM encumbrances.

There was an announcement on the Sage forums that guide data would officially be supported for a year. That year is about a month away. None of us know what happens after that.

I’ve begun poking around in ernest to find an alternative. A co-worker’s 1st gen Apple TV went out on them last week and they’re going to give it to me. I’ll fix it and see how far I can take that. I’ve begun using Plex and Roku last week to get a full understanding of those.

It will really be awful if Google bought Sage just to throw it in the trash.

admin
    Keymaster

The ‘official’ support aspect is fairly non-existent. I was going to say that the support ticket system is still operating but they’ve now disabled the support link on the website. They had been communicating with people to recover license keys. They left the software downloads available in an indirect way. There is a link within the support forums about how to get there but that’s not obvious from the main website. If someone were to go by the actual website they would automatically assume the product is fully end-of-life.

The only real way to obtain support is through their forums, which still operate. The high-profile moderators are still there. As I noted, there hasn’t been much in the way of updates. They did a fix for the weather a while ago. The weather channel weather stopped working and they rewrote that module to use the National Weather Service.

Very recently they changed their license terms to permit end users to resell their own licenses to someone else. There has been an outcry of people trying to obtain licenses and, of course, can not. I suppose, as people abandon the platform, someone else could get value from someone’s license. The problem is that, unless someone was very active in the SageTV forum, they wouldn’t even know they could resell the license or even that there was a demand for an abandoned license.

As Windows 8 rolls out it is unlikely there will be any more compatibility versions so, as people upgrade, the software will simply die. I always found too many quirks with Windows Vista so my HTPC remained on XP. I can leave that run for a year without rebooting and it’s rock solid. I tried Vista and it was rebooting spontaneously every few days. With four tuners and an abundance of other things running on my HTPC, I just couldn’t take the instability so I went back to XP. As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

P.S.: I almost forgot to add that, if you cannot get your license key information from SageTV, there is a way around that. It did not come officially from SageTV but is endorsed by them. The instructions are in the forums about how to accomplish it. It involves digging around the installation to gather enough files to fix a new installation on another computer. If someone needs to reinstall on a new computer let me know and I’ll try to locate the specific information.

admin
    Keymaster

If someone needs to reinstall on a new computer let me know and I’ll try to locate the specific information.

ads online india

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Google TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.