This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    The number of people who connect their televisions to the Internet is growing rapidly, with 1 of 5 consumers now using video game consoles, Blu-ray players or other devices to bring the Web to their TV screens, according to a new national study by Frank N. Magid Associates.

The research found that 21% of consumers in the U.S. connect their TVs to the Internet — up from 16% a year earlier. That number is likely to rise, with 30% of consumers who haven’t already connected expressing an interest in doing so, Magid found in its nationally representative survey of 2,540 people.

“Over the next 18 months, we are going to be at the end of the early adopter phase of connected televisions as the mainstreaming of the technology happens,” said Magid researcher Andrew Hare. “More and more Americans are getting connected televisions in their homes.”

Game consoles led the transition, as gamers used their Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation or Nintendo Wii systems to browse the Web, watch movies and TV shows through subscription services such as Netflix, play games against online opponents or check their Facebook accounts.

Such behavior is quickly moving beyond the technologically adventurous to everyday consumers. The number of connected TVs in homes could jump 50% annually over the next couple of years, Magid predicts.

Read More: 1 in 5 U.S. consumers connects TV to the Internet, study says – latimes.com

Yes sir, I’m an early adopter! Since this is behavior pattern that is youth led the real impact won’t be seen for several years, but the old media/pay-TV industry needs to be on notice.

admin
    Keymaster

I’ve been on the bleeding edge of IPTV for quite some time. I agree that it will be a while before it is mainstream. I would expect that favorable court decisions on Aereo and anything subsequent from NimbleTV will likely shake up the industry. If the courts decide that Aereo isn’t bound to retransmission agreements/fees, the infrastructure of terrestrial (and subsequently cable networks) will be shaken to its core. The whole industry will be turned upside down as cable companies try to find an angle around their fees. Can you imagine cable companies setting up the “individual antenna” concept to serve their own subscribers and avoid network fees? The entire landscape of how television is delivered would change.

admin
    Keymaster
    avaloncourt, post: 930 wrote:
    Can you imagine cable companies setting up the “individual antenna” concept to serve their own subscribers and avoid network fees?

I agree with you, that if Aereo succeeds, cable companies will avoid network fees.

But i’m not shure that the way television is delivered will change much …

admin
    Keymaster
    scalabis, post: 932 wrote:
    I agree with you, that if Aereo succeeds, cable companies will avoid network fees.

But i’m not shure that the way television is delivered will change much …

Ah, but it will. When cable companies avoid fees then programming providers will have to come up with an alternative way to make up for the lost revenue. Their entire existence depends on that float from distribution. When it goes away, things will change. What you’re likely to see is an onslaught of direct-to-consumer rather than via terrestrial station programming and, if the networks start that, the ‘regular’ cable stations will follow. It will be a situation of “well, if they’re going to do that so will we.” It will absolutely be falling dominoes beginning with the terrestrial broadcasters.

The problem with that whole scenario is that the terrestrial broadcasters will see themselves in a losing proposition. They have a duty, as bound by the FCC, to present programming for the public good. If they feel they can’t be profitable you’re likely to see TV stations shutting down. If stations shut down then networks will go into a panic. If networks panic the FCC will get involved and the FCC has been so helpful in the past. :rolleyes: Basically, this is the current network argument in the Aereo injunction case.

From that angle, the FCC could see it as another way where they can grab and sell spectrum which lines their pockets. Strange days are coming.

admin
    Keymaster
    avaloncourt, post: 933 wrote:
    It will absolutely be falling dominoes beginning with the terrestrial broadcasters.

I really think that your over estimating the importance of retransmission fees. Even thought the rules governing it have been in place since 1991, up until the last 5 years most full power broadcasters chose “must carry” over charging retransmission fees, and the majority of their revenue still comes from advertising. Would it mean that they would make less money? Yes, but with most of the “Citizen’s United” Super PAC money going into local broadcasters pockets I don’t see many of them going out of business anytime soon. The possible losers are Dish and DirecTV who don’t have wired internet networks to distribute the “rented antenna and DVR” signals.

It may mean that broadcasters may have to actually promote their OTA signals as a stand alone service. The fact of the matter is in most areas you can do the exact same thing as Aereo is doing with a 5″ diameter loop of copper tubing and a DTV tuner in your Windows 7 PC, and you don’t need to pay anyone $12 a month to do it. It only makes sense in the concrete jungles of NYC or Chicago where there is too much multi-path for reliable reception.

admin
    Keymaster
    dkreichen1968, post: 934 wrote:
    The possible losers are Dish and DirecTV who don’t have wired internet networks to distribute the “rented antenna and DVR” signals.

Don’t forget that Dish bought the Blockbuster streaming infrastructure. They already have the ability to stream to whomever they want.

Quote:
    The fact of the matter is in most areas you can do the exact same thing as Aereo is doing with a 5″ diameter loop of copper tubing and a DTV tuner in your Windows 7 PC, and you don’t need to pay anyone $12 a month to do it. It only makes sense in the concrete jungles of NYC or Chicago where there is too much multi-path for reliable reception.

I wouldn’t make that ‘most areas’ statement. Much of this country is underserved to potential terrestrial viewers. Heck, even the Los Angeles area isn’t a good area for DTV reception. All the transmitters are on a mountain and if you’re in the wrong place or in the shadow, you get nothing or nearly nothing.

I live 35 miles from the transmitters in my DMA but terrain prevents me from getting a decent signal. Our cable company doesn’t offer any form of ‘lifeline’ service. It’s a 72 channel package minimum or its nothing. Many people here would love to have the chance at the broadcast channels at a reasonable price.

The other aspect of Aereo is that they’re portable. Are you planning on dragging around that DTV box and loop? Aereo gives you the ability to watch on iPhone, iPad and Roku and have a DVR in the mix as well. That’s pretty darn convenient. Most people will gladly pay $12 a month because, to use the DTV box and loop, you’re back in the 70’s sitting around the TV at 8:00 to see a show because that’s the only choice you have. If you start piling on equipment, like a Tivo, to record the shows, you might as well be right back at the $12/month because that Tivo isn’t cheap.

admin
    Keymaster
    avaloncourt, post: 935 wrote:
    The other aspect of Aereo is that they’re portable. Are you planning on dragging around that DTV box and loop? Aereo gives you the ability to watch on iPhone, iPad and Roku and have a DVR in the mix as well. That’s pretty darn convenient. Most people will gladly pay $12 a month because, to use the DTV box and loop, you’re back in the 70’s sitting around the TV at 8:00 to see a show because that’s the only choice you have. If you start piling on equipment, like a Tivo, to record the shows, you might as well be right back at the $12/month because that Tivo isn’t cheap.

You really need to go back and read my actual post and do some research. I never said anything about TiVo or a DTV box did I? I agree that TiVo isn’t cheap, but TiVo certainly isn’t the only or best solution out there. I personally haven’t watched a TV show I regularly watch in it’s live spot for 2 years and I don’t pay TiVo, Aereo, or anyone else $12 a month for the service, and I don’t have cable. While I personnally don’t care about portablity, that’s also doable using your own home PC without Aereo. The whole Aereo defense is built on it being something that people can currently do legally themselves. Aereo is just setting it up as a commercial service. Despite that, I believe that the courts should rule that they are infact a MVPD (which legally is subject to retransmission regulations) due to the fact that it violates the spirit (not the letter) of current law.

And, I stand by my assertion that the vast majority of Americans live in areas where they are picking up plenty of DTV, including the best quality HDTV currently available, on the filling in their teeth. I do reallize that some people live on the “wrong side of the mountain” since I live in Colorado, but even here many people don’t realize they have a 30 channel free “cable package” simply because they’ve never tried.

admin
    Keymaster

Well, you actually said a DTV TUNER and a Windows 7 PC. If you’re using that combination you’re a) asking the person to understand how to effect recordings on a Windows 7 computer of a live-stream DTV terrestrial broadcast and b)sever them from their regular TV because they’re not going to be able to figure out how to connect the computer to the TV (if they even have the ability).

You are stating things that are WAY outside of the comfort level of any average American citizen and, even if they know *HOW* to do it, the novelty will wear off rapidly after connecting their laptop to the TV for the umpteenth time (since most people are migrating to laptops these days and desktops are a notable dying breed). That also shoots the recording with a computer aspect in the foot as well.

People want convenience, plain and simple. Your ‘solution’ is neither convenient not simple. People can’t figure out how to program their cable DVRs and you expect them to set up a fixed PC to record their programming? It’s not going to happen. I challenge you to come up with 5 people you personally know who actually do this. Outside of myself, I’ve never met a single person anywhere within the DMA where I live. This is not necessarily uber-geek territory (although average Joe would view it that way) but moderately technically inclined and with zero wife acceptance factor.

admin
    Keymaster
    avaloncourt, post: 941 wrote:
    Well, you actually said a DTV TUNER and a Windows 7 PC. If you’re using that combination you’re a) asking the person to understand how to effect recordings on a Windows 7 computer of a live-stream DTV terrestrial broadcast and b)sever them from their regular TV because they’re not going to be able to figure out how to connect the computer to the TV (if they even have the ability).

You are stating things that are WAY outside of the comfort level of any average American citizen and, even if they know *HOW* to do it, the novelty will wear off rapidly after connecting their laptop to the TV for the umpteenth time (since most people are migrating to laptops these days and desktops are a notable dying breed). That also shoots the recording with a computer aspect in the foot as well.

People want convenience, plain and simple. Your ‘solution’ is neither convenient not simple. People can’t figure out how to program their cable DVRs and you expect them to set up a fixed PC to record their programming? It’s not going to happen. I challenge you to come up with 5 people you personally know who actually do this. Outside of myself, I’ve never met a single person anywhere within the DMA where I live. This is not necessarily uber-geek territory (although average Joe would view it that way) but moderately technically inclined and with zero wife acceptance factor.

But, you admit that the technology exists… So the only thing keeping it from reaching acceptance is a turnkey solution the “average joe” can understand and use. That really is the only difference between what I’m talking about and a cable DVR, but you have to pay $70 a month to get anywhere close to one. I think Simple.TV is moving in the right direction, but it’s not yet there.

I certainly understand the “wife acceptance factor”, but also understand that is a large portion of why there is a 50%+ divorce rate and so many single mothers on welfare (which indirectly substidizes the cable industry). There is a large portion of the American female population who need to grow up and get over themselves.

According to Nielsen 90% of the population subscribes to pay-TV, and according to other statistics, 17% of the population lives under the poverty line. Anyone else see a problem with that?

admin
    Keymaster
    dkreichen1968, post: 942 wrote:
    I certainly understand the “wife acceptance factor”, but also understand that is a large portion of why there is a 50%+ divorce rate and so many single mothers on welfare (which indirectly substidizes the cable industry). There is a large portion of the American female population who need to grow up and get over themselves.

Since I wrote that 2 hours ago, I’ve received a call from one of my ex-wife’s creditors, and we haven’t been together for over 3 years. One of the local stations ran a story on how women are a lot more likely to pay over limit and late fees on their credit cards than men. Up until then I only had anecdotal evidence of that, but it certainly conformed to my, and my friends’, experience.

Ladies, if you want to have a good, long lasting relationship with a husband, you need to learn to be both reasonable and responsible! And, just because your next door neighbor is a contentious irresponsible woman, doesn’t make it good or right!

admin
    Keymaster

hi friends this is ven cruise. yes you are right. the internet t.v is growing rapidly this only because the people have no enough time to watch the shows on there exact time so
    people are watching there favorite t.v show online when ever they want to watch them……………………………

admin
    Keymaster
    vencruise, post: 1360 wrote:
    hi friends this is ven cruise. yes you are right. the internet t.v is growing rapidly this only because the people have no enough time to watch the shows on there exact time so
    people are watching there favorite t.v show online when ever they want to watch them……………………………

That’s really not much of an argument for Internet television. DVRs have existed as readily available for most people for more than a decade and commonplace for cable and satellite subscribers for half that time. DVRs have been time shifting programming for a much longer period then Internet television has been available. To tear someone away from cable or satellite is often a cost decision.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.