This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Intel (yes, the chip manufacturer) will be rolling out a Cable TV over IP service on a city by city basis.

The article seems to associate Intel being snubbed as the processor manufacturer for Google TV as the reason they decided to go this route. That doesn’t make any sense to me. That would be like Goodyear not convincing Ford to put their tires on all of the vehicles rolling off the assembly line so Goodyear would decide to build their own cars. Intel knows about as much about being a content provider as Goodyear knows about building cars. Strange.

Intel’s Cable TV Service And Set Top Box Will Soon Roll Out City By City | TechCrunch

admin
    Keymaster

With all of the CES news coming out of Las Vegas (even before it started), Intel announced that it partnered with Comcast for its IPTV-based Cable service. That would explain where the content deals will come from. I wonder how much of a game changer this could potentially be. This is the first time a US cable system has broken away from the traditional wired-region constraints and is attempting to make a full IP offering. Cable companies usually make carriage contracts with municipalities for defined periods of time and no other cable companies can compete in that same geography. This would put their offerings outside of those contracts.

I can’t see how this would likely work with so many providers imposing bandwidth caps or packet shaping. I don’t know how much you may use monthly but I consume anywhere between 150-250GB per month. My cable company doesn’t cap but on their bandwidth usage utility, they mention clearly that the ‘average’ home subscriber uses 19GB. I think I fall slightly outside of that. :)

admin
    Keymaster
    BenL, post: 0 wrote:
    Nice to see the big media distribution monopolies facing a little competition from Intel.

But Intel is partnering with Comcast for this. You don’t get much more big media distribution company than that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Other Providers’ is closed to new topics and replies.