This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

I have a free trial of Hulu Plus. Over the last few weeks, I have missed the Simpsons on Sundays. When I went to catch up on Hulu Plus, SURPRISE! You can’t watch The Simpsons on Hulu Plus with a Roku, it’s “Web Only”! I’ll have more to say later about the stupidity of creating some distinction between watching a show on a computer (that can be hooked up to a TV) versus a set top box (which is also a computer!) that’s hooked to a TV, but I’ll save that rant for later.

Today I noticed this ad featuring a TV with four of Hulu’s most popular shows on it:

[ATTACH]84.vB[/ATTACH]
    What’s wrong with this TV picture? Well, you can’t use Hulu Plus to watch The Simpsons on a TV connected to a set-top box.

Sure, you can watch Simpsons on Hulu Plus – on a Windows, Mac, or Linux “computer”, but you can’t watch it on a set – top box “computer” like Roku, Game machine, or Android device.

The reason most people pay for Hulu Plus is to watch it on a set top box.

I’d call it misleading at the very least, if not deceptive advertising.

What do you think?

admin
    Keymaster

I have heard and read a lot of this very sentiment recently. You’re not the only one who is upset by the ‘bait and switch’ of their tactics.

admin
    Keymaster

To be fair, it’s not Hulu who decides these things, but… they try to act like the good guys, “gee, sorry, we understand. but its not us, its them”.

And the “them” they refer to is the rights holders, who most often are also… the owners of HULU.

At least I have the free trial to find out these shenanigans. I kinda like the paid service, the subscriptions. The picture quality is good, and the interface, while not the best on roku, is serviceable. But I don’t think I will be paying for it if I can’t watch what is available free.

Support Device Neutrality: A Roku is a computer, too!

admin
    Keymaster
    Roku Guru, post: 1451 wrote:
    And the “them” they refer to is the rights holders, who most often are also… the owners of HULU.

As I began reading your reply, I was thinking this very thing. They created Hulu and now they’re restricting its use.

admin
    Keymaster

To me, if the rights holders are more often than not the owners of hulu, it just doesnt make sense to have some shows only available on Hulu and not on Hulu + :(

admin
    Keymaster
    BenL, post: 0 wrote:
    Streaming services lack of new TV shows leave something to be desired. Amazon and iTunes charge a fortune for current TV shows that can be watched for free with an HD antenna. $2 a show for SD $3 for HD. Come on really? I could see maybe .50 or a dollar for HD.

I fully agree. Lets say $1 for HD. :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.