This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

I am currently running Plex Server on a Celeron 2.2 Ghz Windows 7 laptop with 3 GB ram, serving video to a Roku XS and an LT. I will also connect occasionally with an android tablet. It was installed on the laptop as a test and for a learning experience, before I set up my media server. As you could probably guess, it’s underpowered – and Plex video (from HULU) is borderline watchable.

The computer I am going to use as a server is a Dell Optiplex 755, 2.33 Mhz, 4MB Core Duo-conroe with 3GB and windows XP installed. It will be running an 80 Gb raptor as the primary drive for OS and software only, and media on separate internal and external drives. I’ve also installed a separate video card in it, and I have an avermedia duo TV card. It will be in a spare bedroom – I would put it next to the TV, but Dell’s so-called “mini tower” case is too big to fit in my media cabinet!

Questions:

1. Will this machine do HULU via PLEX to the Rokus and Android devices fairly smoothly? HD is not a requirement for Hulu, I just need to watch The Daily Show. Smooth SD, even sub-HD, quality is acceptable.
    2. Is XP okay, or should I upgrade to Win 7? I don’t really have $100 to spare to upgrade the OS, and I don’t have time / patience to go Linux. But I’m not sure if the Avermedia tuner card works under XP.
    3. Is there possibly a better solution than Plex? Keep in mind that the setup will be used by the wife and the kids also, and I don’t have a lot of time or money to set it up. (Don’t suggest PlayOn, I’m pissed at them for revoking my PAID license!)

admin
    Keymaster

Hi RG.

Regarding question 2:

As you may guess all new device drivers are tested mostly on Windows 7 environments, so Windows 7 is the way to go in terms of stability.

3GB is on the lower end of what W7 “likes”. I would feel more comfortable with 4GB.

Regards,
    scalabis

admin
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    3GB is on the lower end of what W7 “likes”. I would feel more comfortable with 4GB.

Only if you’re talking 64 bit. The 32 bit version (what I would be using) can’t use much more than 3 GB.

admin
    Keymaster

Right.

Depending on the map size of the video RAM, you can use almost 4GB.

It is also true that some motherboards dont allow more than 3GB.

But believe me, with 4GB (or almost 4GB) there is a huge difference.

admin
    Keymaster

I agree that it’s worth adding the extra. You may only get three and one-third GB out of four but that does indeed make a difference.

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, when I get it, another GB will be added. But for now, thats what I have.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.