This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

I’m rather surprised that this one hadn’t been posted yet. This comes from the Google I/O conference and I wasn’t sure how to classify this. It’s not GoogleTV but rather a home streaming device. I’m not quite sure what to think about this particular device. It streams audio, video and YouTube. It also has its own built in audio 25-watt amplifier but does not come with any speakers.

Google is billing the Nexus Q as a “social streaming media player” that lets users share playlists. I know this isn’t anything new. Spotify and others do the same thing. I don’t get excited by this concept at all. I know this concept has its fans but I have no interest.

So, considering the the amplifier output, this isn’t a device marketed for home theater purposes and it has nothing to do with the PC market. It would be better placed with a much smaller screen than what is found in a living room situation. They’ve incorporated 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth and, of all things Near Field Communications (NFC). I have no idea what the NFC aspect would be used for unless you’re tapping the device with the NFC-capable phone with payment services to pay for something but even that seems very odd and awkward.

I just have a feeling this is going to be a stumbling product like the GoogleTV with no vision and direction.

Google Nexus Q home media streamer revealed on Google Play Store for $299 | The Verge

By the way, Google rolled out the $399 Triad speakers for the Nexus Q.

Really? $299 for the device and $399 for the speakers? I just can’t see the market.

admin
    Keymaster

Here is some additional information about the Google Nexus Q. PC Magazine put out an article comparing it to the AppleTV but here are some comments they made…

Quote:
    It lets you wirelessly stream media from your Android smartphone or tablet to the device like Apple’s AirPlay feature.
    Quote:
    While the Nexus Q uses a version of Android 4.0, it isn’t a Google TV device. Instead of loading Android apps and running many services through the Google TV interface or even stock Android, it’s limited to Google Play, Google’s music, movie, and TV market. Google Play is also the company’s app store, but the Nexus Q doesn’t seem to be able to use apps beyond Google Play media and YouTube. There’s certainly room for Netflix and Hulu Plus at the very least, which leaves the device lacking in features.
    Quote:
    The Nexus Q can play music from your Android smartphone or tablet through Google Play Music, and you can push YouTube videos from your device to the Nexus Q like AirPlay.
    Quote:
    Apple TV, on the other hand, uses a well-established system that does the same thing.
    Quote:
    The Apple TV doesn’t have an amp or analog speaker outputs, and it doesn’t support Bluetooth or NFC. It also doesn’t have any onboard storage for media, but to be fair, it isn’t exactly clear how the Nexus Q’s storage will be used. The Apple TV is strictly for connecting to a home theater or HDTV, while the Nexus Q is clearly intended for audio systems as much as HDTVs.
    Quote:
    The Google Nexus Q raises a lot of questions, and until we get it into the lab we can’t be sure how well it works as a media hub. However, so far it looks less like Google’s competitor to the Apple TV and more like a wireless audio system like Sonos’ products.

Google Nexus Q vs. Apple TV | PCMag.com

If they’re trying to make an AppleTV competitor, the $299 price is all wrong.

admin
    Keymaster

Wow, that didn’t last long. Google has withdrawn the Nexus Q from sale to work on making it “even better.”

Quote:
    My bet is that if we ever see the Nexus Q offered again, it’s the price that Google will have made better. And it had better be substantially better.

That said, good on Google for giving those who pre-ordered the overpriced black orb a free unit. If they were willing to take a chance on the $200 device, they deserve the freebie.

What happened to Google’s Nexus Q? | ZDNet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.