This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Hi All,

I recently decided to try a product with a slightly different angle than what we typically see with AppleTV or Roku boxes. I’ve been growing disappointed recently with Roku because of the number of disappearing private channels. Last weekend I decided to play around with XBMC on my home theater PC. It had been a long while since I had done anything with XBMC. I downloaded the newest version (Frodo) and replaced an old version I had on that machine.

I liked some of the newer aspects of this release but I was occasionally getting unrecoverable hangs during playback ff/rew functions on the computer which was getting annoying.

I was looking around online for information related to XBMC and ran across a box known as the G-Box Midnight MX2. It is an Android (Jelly Bean) STB with a custom build of XBMC Frodo and a remote-friendly menu system to switch between Android and XBMC. Upon reading comments online, I also ordered a wireless keyboard/trackpad to use with it. While you don’t need it for regular XBMC actions, it makes the Android app world so much easier to deal with.

I received it yesterday and the set-up was simple. Just plug in the HDMI cable and power. It has wi-fi but I never use wi-fi for streaming devices if I can help it at all. I attempt to hard wire everything with Ethernet. I utilized my Ethernet from my Roku box.

The Android implementation is complete. I have full access to the Google Play store. I previously had an Android phone so I went in and downloaded some of the apps I had purchased. The installation was no different than any Android experience and they ran flawlessly. The box is fully rooted giving you the latitude to get into normally-restricted areas with certain apps.

I then began customizing XBMC with certain repositories and add-ons. Again, there were no issues. Everything went as expected.

The box has a Amlogic A9 Dual Core Neon HD CPU/ Mali400 GPU and is very fast. The app tests and streaming function have been excellent so far. I enjoy that the Android apps run in the background and push notifications work.

I look forward to exploiting its full capabilities. I have an HDHomerun arriving today. XBMC is full compatible. I will first test out the television streaming capabilities and then I intend to determine if I can activate the PVR functionality in XBMC Frodo to make the box an inexpensive PVR. It would be nice to retire my power-hungry (and space heater simulating) HTPC. I have hopes for that.

I will post more as I explore further.

Matricom – G-Box Midnight MX2

admin
    Keymaster

Well i haven’t tried XBMC yet, you are making me curious :)

admin
    Keymaster

Give it a shot with a PC. You really can’t hurt anything. The typical add-on process is pretty kludgy but I found that the Fusion repository and Navi-X are quite nice.

admin
    Keymaster

So far, so good. I’ve been slowly configuring the add-ons to my liking. The experience has been good so far.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.