This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    In its next phase, Roku is working with about two dozen OEM’s (original equipment makers) that will allow smart TVs and other video devices (such as Blu-Ray players and sound bars) to come with Roku built in. The company says that there will be 3.5 million such devices available by the end of this year.

Many of those are house brand TVs like Insignia, which is sold by stores like Best Buy. Wood said these kinds of TVs represent about 30 percent of the market and are the fastest growing segment. He said it will be 40 percent by next year.

There is also the Roku Streaming Stick, a small device the size of a USB plug that, when plugged into a TV provides, the same kind of access as the Roku boxes.

Roku works closely with many cable companies, including Time Warner Cable, which provides customers an app that can be used to watch their service via the Roku box. However, for some customers, Roku is an alternative to cable. Wood said the top 25 percent of users stream an average of 35 hours of programming a week. He admits for many of them, “that is all they need.â€

Read More: Roku CEO: $60 Million Infusion Will Build ‘Operating System for Televisions’

Roku is very much the do everything “smart” video interface. I also see that having “Roku built in” will give the company a lot more exposure than the boxes alone.

35 hours of programming a week? Wow!!! What else do these people do? ;)

admin
    Keymaster

Ya’ know, something like that could be damaging to the pay TV industries and that’s a good thing!

admin
    Keymaster

Ha, having that in my TV would have saved me that $100.

But, something doesn’t sound right about that. I think there are other “boxes” beside Roku, wouldn’t that cause some flack in the “box” community ?
    How can they just have one source for that ?

admin
    Keymaster
    SWHouston, post: 2817 wrote:
    Ha, having that in my TV would have saved me that $100.

But, something doesn’t sound right about that. I think there are other “boxes” beside Roku, wouldn’t that cause some flack in the “box” community ?
    How can they just have one source for that ?

There are all kinds of boxes (and “smart” TVs) out there, but I don’t think that any of them (including Apple TV) do as much as a Roku. The Apple iTV has been in the rumor mill for years now. So, why wouldn’t Roku want to pull it off first?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.