This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  admin 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

Amazon today announced a revamping of their readers and tablets. They are now available for pre-order.
    I am looking forward to more details on the tablets –
    I’ve had a chance to use the original Kindle Fire. Overall, it is a nice little tablet but it lacked some key features, most notably an HDMI port and a USB port that’s good for more than just charging and transferring files.

From Amazon’s site, today, Sept 6, 2012:

Quote:
    Dear Customers,
    Today we’re excited to introduce the all-new Kindle Fire HD.

jeffletter-2012-fire-1._V389711289_.jpg
    Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ 4G isn’t just the best tablet for the price, it’s the best tablet. $499 now gets you a large-screen HD tablet with a stunning 8.9″ display, exclusive Dolby audio, dual stereo speakers, the fastest Wi-Fi, ultra-fast 4G LTE wireless, plus our new unprecedented $49.99 one-year 4G data package. Customers save hundreds of dollars in the first year compared to other 4G tablets. Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ is also available in a Wi-Fi only model for $299 .
    Kindle Fire HD is the world’s most-advanced 7″ tablet, with a stunning HD display, plus the same exclusive Dolby audio, dual stereo speakers, the fastest Wi-Fi, and 16 GB of storage. Kindle Fire HD is just $199.
    We are also introducing the world’s most advanced e-readers, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite 3G
    jeffletter-2012-ereader-1._V389711294_.jpg
    You’ll do a double take when you see Kindle Paperwhite—we’ve added 62% more pixels and increased contrast by 25%, so whites are whiter, and blacks are blacker. We’ve also added a revolutionary built-in front light for the perfect reading experience whether you’re out at the beach or at home in bed. Kindle Paperwhite starts from just $119. Kindle Paperwhite 3G is available for $179 with free 3G wireless—never pay for or hunt for a Wi-Fi hotspot. We’ve also updated our smallest, lightest Kindle with improved fonts and 15% faster page turns—it now starts at just $69.

Details are sketchy right now – as soon as I get more details, I will share them.

admin
    Keymaster

Great news!

Competition in the tablet market is badly needed.

Also a “one-year 4G data package” for $49.99 looks really good. What about data caps ?

admin
    Keymaster
    scalabis, post: 1388 wrote:
    Great news!

Competition in the tablet market is badly needed.

Also a “one-year 4G data package” for $49.99 looks really good. What about data caps ?

From Amazon:

Quote:
    12 month AT&T 4G data package includes 250MB a month of blazing fast data, 20GB of additional Cloud Drive storage, and a $10 Amazon Appstore promotional credit, all for a one-time payment of only $49.99, with no monthly payments required. If you need more data, additional 3GB and 5GB data plans from AT&T are also available for purchase.

250 MB is far more than I use in a month for all my internet, including 2 roku boxes, a tablet, phone, a computer and laptop – I am using Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video, and pulled just over 76 MB last month. I have a 100 MB cap I’m living under, too. Of course I have set up everything to keep the consumption down, but still….

admin
    Keymaster

You are doing a miracle, in terms of internet economy, to use under 250 MB / month.

I went on holidays, and took with me a 4G pen connected to a wireless router. :)

Also took my Apple TV, and Roku XS.

In 3 weeks i used 11GB (eleven gigabytes) watching 2 episodes of Breaking Bad, and some 10 episodes of Masterpiece on Hulu +

Even Aereo in “high quality” means 1.2GB per hour, and thats why they have 3GB and 5 GB plans (for a price of course).

admin
    Keymaster
    scalabis, post: 1397 wrote:
    You are doing a miracle, in terms of internet economy, to use under 250 MB / month.

I went on holidays, and took with me a 4G pen connected to a wireless router. :)

Also took my Apple TV, and Roku XS.

In 3 weeks i used 11GB (eleven gigabytes) watching 2 episodes of Breaking Bad, and some 10 episodes of Masterpiece on Hulu +

Even Aereo in “high quality” means 1.2GB per hour, and thats why they have 3GB and 5 GB plans (for a price of course).

I have limited my bandwidth on netflix (Good quality, up to 0.3 GB per hour) and Hulu because the kids are heavy consumers of streaming video. They have no need to watch cartoons in HD. In fact, most of what I watch doesn’t need to be in HD. Documentaries, The Daily show on Hulu, news, old TV shows, whatever… In most cases, if it’s watchable, I’m happy. But for a good movie with stunning visuals, I will bump my bandwidth up to allow HD viewing.

To be honest though, most online content is not the type of thing that benefits from stunning full HD.

admin
    Keymaster

Update:

Some features that were lacking on the original kindle have been added or fixed in the new models:

• Text-to-speech
    • HDMI out
    • Still no full USB functionality, but now supports Bluetooth for accessories like keyboards (Yea!)
    • External volume controls
    • Front-facing HD camera
    • Read-out-loud – now available on the new Kindle Fires, but still doesn’t appear to be available on the original Fire.

And note that the original Kindle Fire 7″ has had its price cut to $159. It’s received a minor update, getting a faster processor, more RAM, and longer battery life – but nothing more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.